Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Yellow’
MESA YELLOW BLANKET FLOWER
Gaillardia are the most prolific of bloomers, so ‘Mesa Yellow’ flowers without cease from early summer right through to autumn’s end.
Because for all this time Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Yellow’ covers itself with sunshine yellow rays with golden cone centres, without any of that vibrant colour fading.
Months of sunshine yellow
If this is not enough merit, ‘Mesa Yellow’ also provides excellent cut flowers.
So it is no surprise it has won multiple awards for all round performance.
Neat blankets of colour
Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Yellow’ Blanket Flower is well named. Because it does indeed grow as a blanket of foliage and flower that is so neat and compact. So no sprawling about like some of its more unruly, older cousins.
And it is an unstoppable bloomer, and even the fluffy seed heads are an attraction.
Water-wise & hardy
Gaillardia bask in a Full Sun position.
Plus they are very water-wise plants, that can tolerate periods of dry and heat so well, as long as a deep drink comes their way in time.
So good drainage is essential, as befits their origins as desert plants from Mexico and the wild west of North America.
Frost hardy & unfussy about soil
These native origins also make them tolerant of poor, sandy, and rocky soils or gravel gardens, as well as being extremely frost hardy.
So Gaillardia can withstand severe frost to well below -10C if needed.
And the sheets of bright colour are very forgiving about pH, tolerating both acid or alkaline lime soils.
Easy going & low maintenance
Gaillardias are rarely if ever plagued by pests and diseases.
Plus the only maintenance attention they need is a tidy up with the secateurs after their long and enthusiastic blooming.
And although bees, butterflies and garden visitors adore them, rabbits and deer are not so attracted.
Where to use in the garden
So use Gaillardia anywhere you would like sheets of lovely colour in the Sun.
Enthusiastically flowering ground-covers can be made by planting multiple plants. Allow about 40cm. between each plant.
‘Mesa Yellow’ makes a superb ground-cover because it is so low growing, neat and compact. Plus it literally covers itself with flowers.
SEED SOWING ADVICE: QUICK & EASY
Sow at any time of year in punnets indoors / or scatter in garden late winter-early spring.
INDOORS: Sow in punnets on surface of good quality seed raising mix. Press gently. Barely cover. Light is needed for germination.
10-20C approx. is best for germination.
Seedlings emerge in approx. 10-14 days.
SEED COUNT: 25 seeds per pack approx.
(We always aim to exceed the stated seed count, and give a generous serve).
GROWING: Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Yellow’
– Height with flowers: 40cm approx.
– Width: 40cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun, although they can tolerate Partial Shade in very hot, dry districts.
– Soil: Well Drained, Tolerates dry conditions well.
– Frost: Hardy to well below -10C.
– Growth: Evergreen perennial that can be used as a long blooming ground-cover.
– Beneficial for wildlife: Bees and butterflies adore it, because it is so long blooming it is such a reliable food source for them. So the Royal Horticultural Society feature Gaillardia high on their Perfect for Pollinators List.
– Care: Very hardy and easy, with low maintenance.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Though not immune, Gaillardia are not high on their menu choices.
– Origin: Gaillardia x grandiflora are a recent hybrid carefully bred by crossing two wild flowers to obtain the best features of long blooming and hardiness from both parents. Happily both parents were native to hot and at times arid areas in Mexico and North America. The cross worked in spades for award winning ‘Mesa Yellow’ .