Veronica teucrium ‘Royal Blue’
ROYAL BLUE VERONICA
Gorgeous little Veronica teucrium ‘Royal Blue’ just sings with colour.
With chubby spires of deep, rich, royal blue.
Tough performing groundcover
Growing to just 15cm tall, this tough performer will form a hardy carpeting groundcover.
Then in late Spring and Summer, those glowing, plump racemes of tiny, deep blue flowers rise above the mat of mid-green foliage.
They also make great little cut flowers as well as a glowing garden display.
Veronica teucrium ‘Royal Blue’ is plant well suited to a range of situations. Including front edges, banks, carpeting under roses and taller plants, as well as mixed flowering garden beds.
The genus name of Veronica honours Saint Veronica, who reportedly gave a handkerchief to Jesus so he could wipe sweat from his face on the way to the Cross. Some plants within the Veronica genus even have markings that resemble the possible markings on the sacred handkerchief, if you peer very closely.
This reliable beauty shrugs off frost, and will grow quite happily in dry and arid conditions and positively relishes a sunny spot.
So ‘Royal Blue’ is a great water saving option.
Plus easy to grow, requiring very low care and is virtually pest and disease-free.
SEED SOWING ADVICE: QUICK & EASY
Suitable for beginners & gardening with kids
Sow all year in punnets indoors / scatter in the garden in spring or autumn.
INDOORS: First sow the seeds in a punnet on the surface of good quality seed raising mix.
Then pat gently to the surface to ensure good contact.
Now barely cover the seed with sieved mix / vermiculite / or fine sandy grit.
Because these seeds need light to germinate, so do not bury them.
Now thoroughly moisten the sown punnet by standing in a shallow water bath.
And allowing the moisture to percolate up to the surface from below.
Then place the punnet in a warm, well-lit position (not in direct sun).
You can use a heat mat if you have one, or a warm window sill (out of the sun).
Temperatures of 18-22C approx. are best for rapid and optimum germination.
Continue to keep moist by misting from a spray water bottle as required.
Covering the punnet with a clear plastic lid also helps top maintain consistent moisture.
Seedlings emerge in approx. 14-28 days.
SEED COUNT: 300 seeds per pack approx.
(We always aim to exceed the stated seed count and give a generous serve).
GROWING: Veronica teucrium ‘Royal Blue’
– Height with flowers: 15cm approx.
– Width: 25cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun is usually best in all but the hottest districts. However ‘Royal Blue’ will also give a princely performance in Partial Shade, as long as it is well aired and not damp.
– Soil: Performs wonderfully in all well drained garden soils. However it will also tolerate a range of dry and arid conditions.
Reliable and beneficial for wildlife
– Frost: Very Hardy.
– Growth: Herbaceous Perennial.
– Attracts: They attract a wide range of native bees, Butterflies, as well as nectar-feeding birds.
Easy, low maintenance
– Care: An easy care and low maintenance plant that will benefit from a prune when last frost has passed. In addition it will enjoy a fertilise in early spring but isn’t necessary.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Usually left alone by these nibbling enemies. Generally completely pest free.
– Origin: It is native to Europe and eastern Asia.
Click here for Nursery Open Days & Open Gardens Information
Click here to go back to Seeds Shop